PORT ALBERT MARITIME MUSEUM
Significant items dealing with Gippsland’s maritime history are housed in the 1861 Bank of Victoria building and in the John Irving Archives in the adjacent former CBC bank office. Port Albert was the original Port of Entry for the Gippsland Gold Fields and the old bank vault houses a display on Gippsland Gold Discovery.
In the entrance room is the 400kg, 1.3m high drum lens from the Cape Liptrap lighthouse, the Cliffy Island cannon; and the story of the Bass Strait lighthouses is told in the display on “The Mailmen of Bass Strait”. The growth and decline of Port Albert’s fishing fleet is outlined in the fishing room display on “The Sharkers of Port Albert”. There is also a comprehensive shell collection and the Chinaman’s Point diorama and information boards have the findings of a recent archaeological dig at the site of the 19th century Chinese fish curing industry at Port Albert.
OPEN DAILY SEPTEMBER to MAY 10.30am – 4pm.
WEEKENDS AND SCHOOL HOLIDAYS DURING JUNE, JULY & AUGUST